The CIHR STAGE training program has a dedicated pool of funds for trainee and alumni travel support. Travel funds can be used to cover more than one trip, but only to a maximum of $1,500 CDN per trainee, per fiscal year (fiscal year end March 31), and to a maximum of $1,000 per meeting. Funds may vary from year to year depending upon the applicant pool and availability of funds. We encourage trainees to actively seek financial support from other sources to supplement CIHR STAGE travel support.
Purpose of the Award
The purpose of this travel fund is to promote STAGE-related research by supporting the travel of STAGE trainees and alumni to national and international scientific conferences, meetings, workshops, and other events that facilitate professional development in research and communicate research discoveries.
Reimbursable travel costs are limited to the following:
- the cost of a round-trip lowest economy fare,
- conference or workshop registration fees, and
- accommodation expenses.
Reimbursement claims must include original airline/train boarding passes receipts, airline boarding passes or train tickets are required to claim these expenses.
In order to be considered, the following criteria must be met:
- Events must be aligned with the program’s research themes.
- He/she is an active trainee of the Program at the time of application as well as at the time of the event.
- He/she is a recent alumnus who
- wishes to present work derived from STAGE training,
- is within one year of officially completing the Program,
- is applying to participate in an event that is scheduled to occur within one year of their official Program completion date, and
- has the endorsement of his or her former primary STAGE mentor to attend the proposed event.
- He/she has been selected to present a talk or poster at the event.
- His/her talk or poster must relate to current research that is a clear extension of, or significantly different from, previous research for which travel funds were awarded, if applicable.
How to Apply
- Requests should be submitted preferably 30 days or more before the date of travel.
- Travel support can be requested at any time of the year.
- Email your request to Esther Berzunza at firstname.lastname@example.org, and cc of your primary CIHR STAGE mentor.
- Requests must include:
- the complete name of the meeting and its location and travel dates,
- the title of the oral or poster presentation and corresponding abstract and authorship,
- a clear budget justification for the amount of funding being requested, and
- proof of presentation acceptance (e.g. confirmation of participation from event organizers).
Requests for retroactive travel funds are discouraged but will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Travel Support Evaluation and Ratings
Travel support requests are reviewed by the Co-directors of the CIHR STAGE training program. Funding is competitive and limited and Co-directors may recommend full, partial, or no funding, at their absolute discretion.
Requests will be rated from high to low priority based on the following criteria:
- nomination for an award at the proposed meeting,
- oral presentations,
- trainees who have not received prior travel support, and
- the quality and significance of the presentation or conference for which travel support is sought.
Upon receipt of requests, a notification of receipt will be emailed to the applicant.
Trainees are required to acknowledge the Program in their presentations, publications arising from the supported research, and in any subsequent conference, meeting, or congress materials. Acknowledgements should be made to “CIHR STAGE (Strategic Training for Advanced Genetic Epidemiology.”
Submitting a Reimbursement Request
Reimbursement requests for eligible and approved travel expenses should be submitted within one month of returning
from the event. Forward (1) original receipts for travel related expenses, (2) a summary of your oral presentation or your poster abstract to Esther Berzunza at the address below.
Patricia Nguyen, Program Coordinator
CIHR STAGE (Strategic Training for Advanced Genetic Epidemiology)
CIHR Training Grant in Genetic Epidemiology
University of Toronto Dalla Lana School of Public Health
Health Sciences Building
155 College Street, 5th Floor
Toronto ON M5T 3M7