CANSSI Ontario has a dedicated pool of funds to support STAGE trainee travel. Travel funds can be used to cover more than one trip, but only to a maximum of $1,000 per trainee, per fiscal year (April to March), and to a maximum of $1,000 per meeting. Funds may vary from year to year depending upon the applicant pool and availability of funds. We encourage trainees to actively seek financial support from other sources to supplement CANSSI Ontario travel support. All amounts are in Canadian Dollars.
The purpose of the travel funds is to promote STAGE-related research by supporting the travel of STAGE trainees and alumni to national and international scientific conferences, meetings, workshops, and other events that facilitate professional development in research and communicate research discoveries.
Reimbursable travel costs are limited to the following:
1. the cost of a round-trip lowest economy fare,
2. conference or workshop registration fees, and
3. accommodation expenses.
Reimbursement claims must include original airline/train boarding passes receipts, airline boarding passes or train tickets are required to claim these expenses.
To be considered, the following criteria must be met:
1. Events must be aligned with the Program’s research themes.
2. The applicant is an active trainee of the Program at the time of application as well as at the time of the event.
3. The applicant is a recent STAGE alumnus who
• wishes to present work derived from STAGE training,
• is within one year of officially completing the Program,
• is applying to participate in an event that is scheduled to occur within one year of their official Program completion date, and
• has the endorsement of their former STAGE Primary Mentor to attend the proposed event.
4. They has been selected to present a talk or poster at the event.
5. Their talk or poster relates to current research that is a clear extension of, or significantly different from, previous research for which travel funds were awarded, if applicable.
Requests should be submitted preferably 30 days or more before the date of travel.
Travel support can be requested at any time of the year.
Email your request to Esther Berzunza, and cc of your STAGE Primary Mentor.
Requests must include:
• the complete name of the meeting, its location, and date(s)
• the trainee’s travel date(s),
• the title of the oral or poster presentation and corresponding abstract and authorship,
• a clear budget justification for the amount of funding being requested, and
• proof of presentation acceptance (e.g. confirmation of participation from event organizers).
Requests for retroactive travel funds are discouraged but will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Upon receipt of requests, a notification of receipt will be emailed to the applicant.
Trainees are required to acknowledge STAGE and CANSSI Ontario in their presentations, publications arising from the supported research, and in any subsequent conference, meeting, or congress materials. Acknowledgments should be made to “CANSSI Ontario and STAGE (Strategic Training for Advanced Genetic Epidemiology).”
Reimbursement requests for eligible and approved travel expenses should be submitted within one month of returning from the event. Forward (1) original receipts for travel-related expenses, (2) a summary of your oral presentation or your poster abstract to the address below.
Esther Berzunza, Program Manager
c/o Natalie Sun
Ontario Power Building,
700 University Avenue,
17th Floor, Suite 17125-10
Toronto, ON, M5G 1Z5